Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mist stack CO2 scrubber designed already!

Further to my description of a stack CO2 capture device I discovered a mist trap for smoke stacks has actually been patented. Being in 1972 the patent is no longer active and it was mainly meant for other types of pollution - particularly particulates. However it would catch CO2 as well. I find it highly ironic that we care most about controlling the most benign item coming out of a smoke stack but never mind.

Anyway, it's pretty much the design I had in mind. I suppose none were ever actually built. Instead of simple mist it creates high density fog, presumably because of the temperature of the flue gas. You are helped of course by the fact that the flue gas contains a lot of water vapour too. All you have to do is supersaturate and drain the liquid. Shouldn't cost very much should it? It might even cost less than a traditional tall stack. All this fuss about a simple engineering problem!

11-Pollution-sensor; 12-Elbow; 13-Roof; 14-Building; 15-Legs; 16-Conical body; 17-Pollution sensor; 18-High pressure water line; 19-Multiple nozzles; 20-Catch basin; 21-Drain; 22-Short stack; 23-Pollution sensor; 24-Baffles

Looks nice!

Well done Howard R. Nunn of Napa California. You beat me by 40 years! I wonder if he's still alive? In homage I'm going to call it the "Nunn Foggy Scrubber".

Now I'll just get this into a 3d model when I have the time!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment